As hurricane Harvey continues to devastate Houston, coastal Texas and Louisiana this week, we join the rest of the country in solidarity with those who lost loved ones, homes and belongings. While the impact of the storm has not been fully realized, the extent of the damage left in its’ wake is almost incomprehensible. The response of the people – neighbors, strangers, first responders – of Texas and Louisiana in inspired and motivating.
In the aftermath of the storm, and for months and years to come, the victims of Harvey will need help. If you, your Wellness Committee or your organization in general is looking for ways to contribute, we’ve compiled a few places you might consider donating:
- Greater Houston Community Foundation Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund – Mayor Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax deductible flood relief donations for victims that have been affected by the recent floods.
- Texas Diaper Bank – works to address the diaper gap and its impact on individuals in crisis.
- Direct Relief – works to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty and emergencies.
- Team Rubicon - unites the skills and experiences of military veterans with first responders to rapidly deploy emergency response teams.
- Houston Food Bank – will help to serve those whose lives were upended by Harvey.
There are many other worthy organizations working hard to help those who have been displaced by the storm. Choose one, contribute what you can and then, encourage your friends and colleagues to do the same!
Storms like this one are important reminders about how suddenly our lives and businesses can be upended. As our climate warms, extreme weather events are likely to be more common. Disaster and emergency preparedness is vitally important for all organizations. Yours should have an emergency preparedness plan, including a comprehensive communications strategy. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has compiled a good list of resources for businesses to help: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/emres/business.html